Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

How To: Achieve Lacquered Walls To Die For & Get More Clients!

If you've read my last post you will know I was about to try a couple of techniques to figure out how to get those to die for walls I've only seen in Shelter Magazines. Like the room below designed by Melissa Rufty.

In despiration, because I *really* want to lacquer my dining room walls, I emailed Melissa's firm in New Orleans.

To be honest I really didn't expect a reply from MMR Interiors. I'd emailed a different designer, not quite 2 weeks ago, who I know shares advise freely...alas I think they are busy as I've not heard back.

To my surprise, I got an email back right away. 'We are in the office now, give me a call. Melissa'. OMG I was so excited! A designer who's work I *love* and inspires me was going to let me in on the lacquer technique secret!!  

So after the excitment settled I called Melissa. (I'm still giddy I got to talk to her. I feel like a school girl with a crush)! What a goof I am =)
Melissa was so friendly and fun to talk to. The first things she said to my thanking her for taking some time out of her day for me was that what they were doing was not so important that they can't take a moment for someone else. 'It's not surgery we do here, we making pillows!'

Now, for the HOW TO:
  1. If walls have been painted previously Melissa advises a skim coat of drywall compound on any surface to be lacquered. Sanded to a smooth finish (220 - 280 grit I'd recommend). Otherwise previous roller marks will always show through giving an orange peel effect no matter how many coats of lacquer.
  2. Prime (oil based) walls.
  3. Paint (oil based) with the color you want. If you use a brush or roller the marks will be visible. Deside what you can deal with. Melissa doesn't mind brush strokes. Or you can use a sprayer for a perfectly smooth mirrored finish.
  4. Apply 3 to 4 coats of (oil based) lacquer. Now Melissa said varnish.
  5. Be aware varnish will yellow over time therefore chaning the colour. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the job...and personalities involved I'd guess!
What a shame it would be if the room above yellowed in a year or two!

Now...for making it this far in my blog...a little secret Melissa let me in on: Fine Paints of Europe makes a paint with the laquer in it!! OMG. How easy is that!? As Melissa pointed out, although the paint costs a lot more ($115 USD/ 2.5L + $10 for custom color) then Benji Moore (& as I've discovered more than we pay for Farrow & Ball(!)), it is so worth it in time saved and possibe number of coats of paint required (what is it with Ralph Lauren reds needing 6 - 12 coats to get the depth of color the paint chip has?!).

But it gets even better! Pantone & FPofE have partnered up so you can select a pantone colour for your lacquered walls. *goofy school girl grin again*

FPofE has their own method of application for a mirror finish so be sure to read their application recommendations.

Thank you so much Melissa for making this post possibe!

Ok, lets get this party started! Who's dancing with me?

*Bisous*

Dane

1 comment:

  1. Great post...I'm looking to do this on my new clients walls. Will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, I love to hear what's on your mind!