Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Antiquing Finds & Tea with Barbara Barry

I'm so excited to share a couple of the items I found when I stopped in to a (new to me) local Antique Shop, Harvest Antiques in Hampton, Otario. They have 18,000 square feet of antiques spread out over 2 barns (2 floors each) as well as another building with the 'girly' stuff and chandeliers.


I usually try to avoid Antiquing because it can become very expensive for me...very quickly.


But I was good today and behaved ;) 


I'm head over heels in love with the tea cup and saucer I found. They are marked Bell Fine Bone China England. The deets I've found: they where made in Staffordshire by Shore & Coggins of Longton, who also produced the Queen Anne Mark, who produced from 1911 to 1966. The mark on the bottom of my sweet new set predates the mark in use from 1936-1966. But what I love about them is the pink coral pattern and doily edging. 




How cute is that pattern?!




My second find is the interesting plate under my tea set. Again, I love the pattern. It is so unique. I don't know if it is for decorative purposes only but that's ok. I'm planning on using it for display. 


The deets on the plate:
Mark is 'Ridgways England, Royal Semi Porcelain' which was manufactured by Bedford Works, Shelton, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent (my guess this is somewhere in England). The date for the mark as it is on my plate was used from 1912 on...till I don't know when.




Isn't the pattern great?! I love the black and white graphic used in combination with the illustrations of India. The photo doesn't do justice to the pink sky. 


I enjoyed a cup of licorice spice herbal tea as I worked on this post. I'm going to have to get myself a box of Barbara Barry's new tisane (an herbal tea) Citrine which she created for Tea Leaves. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a cup of Citrine with Ms. Barry when I was in NYC for BlogFest2011. Citrine is outstanding!


My camera battery died just as I met Ms. Barry so I couldn't get a photo although another designer was kind enough to take one for me. Just as soon as I get a copy of it I'll get it up. Till then...you'll have to take my word for it ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay, I love to hear what's on your mind!